Principles of lean manufacturing heavily focus on the reduction or elimination of waste throughout the operation of a manufacturing company. It is so vital to minimize waste that it even has its own term in concepts of lean production, “Muda” which also suggests waste in Japanese.
There are 7 kinds of waste these principles of lean production are committed to get rid of, particularly:.
- Defects – Having to repair or refurbish the defected product and the time and effort it takes.
- Processing – Having different add-ons that the consumer does not need.
- Movement – The movement of people throughout manufacturing.
- Stock – Having to save the product.
- Over Production – Producing more than exactly what is demanded in the market.
- Transport – Unnecessary transport of products or products from one place to another.
- Waiting – Idle time of individuals because of traffic jams in the manufacturing system.
In decreasing these wastes, the principles of lean production use methods that concentrate on enhancing the production procedure. These are:
- Value – The cost of the item is only based on the customer’s expectation. This indicates that as one of the concepts of lean manufacturing, it has to be value for money and need to meet his/her requirements at a designated time. What makers do to alter the raw materials to the final product is not of relative value to the consumer. These concepts of lean production are one of the hardest to attain since of competition that the company has to enhance its operations and recognizes the different jobs that add value and those that do not add value.
- Continues Improvement – As one of the principles of lean production, this involves drawing up the entire company process. From analyzing business process to examining the most reliable points, as one of the principles of lean manufacturing, this modifies exactly how business is handled from the very foundations. As part of the concepts of lean manufacturing, it is vital to get optimized levels of performance from time, shipment, to resource management and obviously, profit.
- Consumer Focus – Every production company always has the client initially prior to revenue. As part of the principles of lean production, consumer focus makes certain that customer fulfillment is reached, feedbacks are heard and the needed changes carried out to satisfy the customer base as a whole.
- Excellence – One of the principles of lean manufacturing takes into mind that there are great deals of ways of making use of business properties efficiently. This principle focuses on the reduction of operating costs while satisfying client’s expectation.
To be able to carry out all the concepts of lean manufacturing in a business, the expert needs to be able to:
- Motivate People – Motivate people for the new modifications that the principles of lean production has actually done to the business. This can be done through training of the personnel and employment of people with the required abilities for the task.
- Employee Involvement – Giving the regular workers the right to choice making will give them a sense of involvement and value to the business is important to follow the concepts of lean production. Having various activities that will bring out the best in each individual.
- Sharing of Information and Experience – Having experienced co-workers provide info to the newer ones on ways to get the desired outcomes while performing the certain job serves the principles of lean manufacturing.
- Empowering Key Employees – Identifying the employees that have management and providing them different tasks or obligations through training or other business activities like team building workshops.
- Favorable Environment – To bring out the concepts of lean manufacturing, having the right environment that is strict and lax at the very same time is very important. People have to comprehend that if they make mistakes, the steps to correct them is plainly stated.
- Payment and Benefits – Having the right evaluation for each individual with no predispositions is essential in principles of lean manufacturing. Focusing on the results instead of the number of activities or tasks done is important in the principles of lean manufacturing.
- Perform various tasks all over the business – After successfully having one project that accomplishes the principles of lean manufacturing prosper in one sector of business, it must be extended throughout the whole business one action at a time.
Still Need Help?
One of the best courses of actions that a company can follow is to consider hiring quality management system consultants that specialize in standards such as ISO 9001 or AS9100. Complying with international standards and being certified is a proven and effective way to communicate that your organization is committed to lean manufacturing principles.